Sunday, February 1, 2009

Granada and Back


Well, my best friend for over half my life emailed me Monday to ask/remind me if I was going to meet her in Granada (south of Madrid). Besides traveling to a couple of places (Port-au-Prince or Cap Haitien) Haiti, I've never planned or scheduled trips/hostels/tickets nor looked into things to do... and it the week was about to enter a couple rough spots--

I was skeptical and thinking I couldn't or wouldn't go. But, aha! At last I made a decision TO GO and meet my beloved friend Kaeleigh in a beautiful part of Spain... Granada. Which was amazing.

I took the overnight bus Wed-Thur and got in at 4.30am. Then, I decided to sleep/sit/hang/write/maybe meet some of the people waiting for buses or what looked like homeless and regular-station-sleepers. Well, I did about 2 of the things just mentioned: sit and write. It was cold and I didn't want to get a taxi to the hostel at this time. So I waited the couple of hours until the cafeteria opened (moment of heaven on earth, 8th world wonder for time went by sooo slowly!) and then got refueled w/ cafe con leche- mmm and then decided to walk w/ my pack to the hostel... my calves were sore thursday and friday due to the incredible amount of walking and the incredible heights (arriba la calle) (up the street) but literally UP as in UP steep and long and yeah...

Kaeleigh and I had a fabulous time- two best friends from back in the retainer/elementary/winnie the pooh days to now, and despite going to different schools in mid and high school, well, let me just say it was so rejuvenating to hang-explore-laugh w/ my soul sistah. And she has travelled a ton and subtly/kindly taught me how/what to do-expect when traveling... which was great. Our hostel, Mochi, was great. Met some sweet new friends. Smoked hookah- yess, i bought one for here. But it needs a little tweaking... we both took a ton of pictures. Cobblestone/stone streets everywhere, relaxed good energy folks, shopping (more rebajas-rebates), Arab shops with teas, hookahs, "hippie" clothes, woven backpacks and so forth... incense, it was all very cool. I practiced a little bit of my Arabic. We ate Lebanese for dinner on Friday night but... ehh, we both wouldn't recommend it, it made me miss the Vine and my beloved family-friends there at the market on So. Grand (63103)...!

Beautiful warm, sunshine weather brought smiles. Views and walking through the Alhambra (famous standing Moorish fort-temple with gardens and palace) made "wow" the most said word of the day and just both walking with ineffable-incredulity throughout the day(s)

Saturday was a cool rainy goodbye day... but it was great hanging in Granada, with Kale, figuring out a bit of the travel-how to stuff, seeing another part of Spain, walking a ton, getting over the "i've never traveled before i dont know what im doing", and just BEING AND DOING IT!!

knowing where to go, what metro and then, walking and feeling the feeling of, yeah, i can't wait to get back to el piso-the apartment and just flop on my bed!! hmm. after unpacking all my stuff i got my new sweet jacket and woven-"fanny pack" jaja on and actually ran into this HUGE manifestation called EL PATIO VIVE. with singing and drums- a whole percussion with coordinated rows/lines of bells/drums/shakers different percussion instruments and it was incredible-marrow shaking-hippies and rastas and young and older folks dancing and walking and everyone was just feeling the energy of this organized street celebration!!! RIGHT ON!!
and there were soooooooo many rastas (dreadlocks/people w/ dreadlocks), tons of folks dancing, smoking, drinking, hanging, laughing, taking photos, ....when my roommates joined up w/ me they said "these are your people" and i just kept dancing and swirling around-
it was solid and soo much fun to be part of and to watch

for now, its snowing (an anomaly) in madrid and i have no enthusiasm for homework, we'll see if i can search and find some somewhere...

all my love-
rlgorley

"we bang the drums
we sang the hums
we learn: RAISE YR VOICE
before we burn
burn burn burn up in smoke
we choke on silence
as it divides the fears we hide
through segregation, agression and hate
as they form nations
we exclaim the sensations:
RAISE YR HANDS RAISE YR VOICE
these our the moments, lands and THE CHOICE" short quip-thought from the Vive Patio

No comments:

Post a Comment