Saturday, January 24, 2009

saturday... afternoon

highlights from the last couple of days:


bought art supplies for my newly added drawing class, great prof and definitely feel positive energy to be in the class, i asked the prof to call me Zanmi- which here in Madrid comes out ... "Thon-mee" (because the Z)

anoche, last night, the most incredible live jazz imbued mi amiga, Bird, y yo... and (Trucha, yes, holy moment- is what I can say)... the experience was ineffable, and yet i wanted to write while standing and let words fall capaciously as in an innate catharsis. thoughtt of my dear dad and of ryan clavelle and those friday jams in the 'Munity. really, incredible. i have this thing about me that carries me to want to see/meet/touch the person (like NIkki Giovanni, Heru, Jane Elliott) so i went up and said "shokran" which is Arabic for "thank you" and then i said gracias to the beautiful trumpet player... sigh, i recognized two things: the need for live music in my life
desire to be around a musician/musicians
(and three, this idea of RECREATION) Giovanni says: we owe it to ourselves to RECREATE ourselves

i love my housemates-roommates: Emily, Melanie and Caroline- all students at Baylor and beautiful women... we learn and laugh with eachother daily. dinners are awesome. hilarious because of Caroline's humor and sarcasm, because of everyone's spanish, and just a beautiful levity-genuine quality about them/us... last night Mel Caroline and I went to an Egyptian restaurant/bar and got drinks and Melon hookah mmmm... most likely going to buy my own argili/cachima/hookah because it will be cheaper and mobile... we'll see

i have needed to be in a Recreate mood because of the consumerism-aesthetic driven/dominating society of Madrid (i was told, fashion capitol of europe-world)... and still i have to squirm before i stand and find a comfortable place between enjoying myself and partaking of the society

my house mom/senora is great! her name is Carmen, excellent chef, salubrious dinners! (not too typical Spanish heavy)... at first she was strict/guarded but with our dinners, she is more open and i begin to feel the five of us genuinely liking, respecting, grooving with one another, i am very joy filled and grateful

and what about Spanish- well, my goal of learning 15 verbs a day and studying vocab ehh isn't exactly happening- i could make excuses but im coming to appreciate a more natural pull into spanish... granted, i need to review - for my own pride and dignity (especially when going to a cafe-restaurant for first time)... and for confidence, but all i can say is that its coming...

today i might go to Reina Sofia with my dear friend Bird... and sunday to Rastro, a huge market that i've heard is my style...
so far no casualties or atrocities or things i was apprehensive of, definitly trying to be on my own two feet, to read maps and make decisions and to practice awareness and present moment living-

i am smiling with you

No comments:

Post a Comment