Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First Day of Class

Wow, so I woke up 30 minutes before class to my host Senora vaccuuming.
Which, was a great thing because I can just barely get to the university in that time, including change clothes and brush teeth etc. So, whatever this seems like small details and perhaps it is but it was my first day of classes in Madrid. In Spain and I forgot my schedule on my desk and forgot gloves-- two blunders because it is freezing here and yeah, I had no idea where my classes were, and even what they were. I was in a whirlwind and even though the campus is small, I still had to take a moment to figure things out.
I found the library, which, if you know me at all- you know that there is some eccentric connection between a library and myself. They don´t have job openings there but there was a table in which I had some time to catch up and write a bit. After I met a beautiful zanmi, Katie, who has been in Madrid studying for a semester already for a bit of coffee. It is great seeing familiar SLU faces and meeting new folks. Which has happened alot and brought me great joy.
After a bit, I met up with a friend from SLU who´s really a Madrid student and went to a bar called The Golden Coc for some lunch-drinks. Yea, I had cafe con leche- no sangria before class quiiite yet. Yea, but I just mean to say that in this moment I´m glad I am here. Ooh, almost sounding sentimental or juevenile but yeah, I think for awhile I was nervous (and not wanting to be) part of a boisterous, borracho ¨American¨ crowd. But I am seeking... real, meaningful experiences, with levity and joy, too...yea. Not that I want to be cliche or repetitive but I am trying to be in the present, to be here, to seek awareness and live.

As for classes, I might drop statistics. I mean... if I can take an Art History class instead? Like... oh, I wouldn´t think twice...but I will have to take it later-
As for Arabic, it is the second level course and I have catching up to do. The prof is GREAT. and I do want to learn Arabic (even though this dialects vary depending on country and this class offers a more general version, but I think it is still worth it). History class tonite and then an Anthro class in 15 minutes. I should buy textbooks soon... ellos son muy caros. Aye yae yae.

Well, writing is major catharsis and I know I´ve written alot. Perhaps miniscule details but it is what it is. With my whole heart, I hope you are well ...

paz y amor

Zanmi RL GORLEY

1 comment: